This is the second time in a month that a shark bite has sent someone to the hospital from Atlantic Beach in North Carolina. An 11-year-old boy was bitten by a shark on Saturday afternoon as he surfed the waves at the beach at Fort Macon State Park in Atlanta Beach.
The boy suffered “deep wounds” to his left foot and he was taken to the hospital where the injuries weren’t considered life-threatening, reports Greensboro.com News on June 26. Surprisingly after the boy was bitten the beach wasn’t closed, despite this being the second shark attack this month.
An 18-year-old boy was bitten in only 3-feet of water in Atlantic Beach earlier this month on June 11. He suffered bites to his hand and wrist from the shark, reports MSN News.
The 18-year-old was taken to Carteret General Hospital where he got stitches, but was expected to be fine. The June 11 shark attack happened just west of the Atlantic Beach Circle, said Atlantic Beach Fire Chief Adam Snyder. He also said the teen was in Atlantic Beach on vacation when he was bitten by a shark.
It doesn’t appear they closed the beach after the June 11 attack either, as nothing was reported about any closings after the first attack.