Take The Bus from the Kahului airport on Maui to Lahaina and save a lot of money.
While it’s over 25 miles to Lahaina from the Kahului Airport on Maui, Hawaii, different transportation vehicles will cost anywhere from $70.00 for a taxi to $120.00 for a private, luxury car. The Bus will cost $2.00 per segment, and no tip is expected.
Maui bus from Kahului Airport to Lahaina
Steven K Scot
Things to know when taking the bus from the Maui airport to Lahaina:
* Once you arrive on Maui and secure your luggage in the luggage claim area, walk out of the building and across the first crosswalk. There’s an island for taxi and the rental car busses, and you’ll need to walk to your left toward the bus pick-up and drop-off location. It’s a covered building and seating is available. Do not walk into the parking lot area, as you will have gone too far.
* Several busses may come to the airport bus station, and they will be either coming from the Queen Kaahumanu Center or will be going to the large, open-air shopping complex. Take the bus going to the shopping mall. It’s best to check with the driver to make sure you’re on the correct bus.
* The cost will be $2.00 to the Queen Kaahumanu Center and you must have correct change. The driver will not give you change. Consider a one-day pass for $4.00.
* Once you arrive at the bus terminal at the shopping center, look for the bus to Lahaina. It’s called the Lahaina Islander and is number 20. You may have to wait up to 30 minutes and there are restroom facilities just around the corner on the second floor.
* Ask the bus representative for the departure time and location of the Lahaina bus. If there’s a line forming, you might want to get in line so you get a seat on the bus to Lahaina. It will cost $2.00 in exact dollars and/or coins.
* Try not to have a large suitcase or several luggage items. If you have too much luggage, the bus driver may not let you on the bus.
* The bus to Lahaina will make a stop in Wailuku at the federal and state buildings, and also a stop at a bus transfer location at the Maalaea Harbor. Stay on the bus until it arrives at the Wharf Cinema Center in the town of Lahaina.
* Lastly, if you’re going further north to the Kaanapali Resort area or the condo communities of Honokowai, Kahana, Napili or Kapalua, there will be another bus at the Wharf Cinema Center to take you to these locations via Whaler’s Village. Again, it will cost you $2.00 for each segment. Going from the airport to Kapalua may cost up to $8.00, but it’s still much cheaper than a taxi or shuttle van.
Suggestion: If you’re planning to use the bus a lot during your stay on Maui, consider getting a monthly pass for $40.00. There are some possible discounts available for the elderly and military personnel.
See what Yelp reviews have to say about the bus from the Kahului Airport to Lahaina.