If you just moved into a fixer upper and want to tackle removing the existing wallpaper but were reluctant to, below is an easy step-by-step guide to removing outdated wallpaper:
Materials You Will Need:
Wallpaper scraping tool
- Place drop cloths at the bottom of the walls that are going to be stripped and remove all switch plates and outlet covers from wall.
- Turn off power to the room.
- Cut small holes into the wallpaper so that the solution can permeate through to the adhesive base.
- Mix together the fabric softener and hot water in a large spray bottle. Use small batches of solution at a ratio of one to one, keeping the water as hot as possible.
- Spray a section of wallpaper with the solution and let it saturate the paper before stripping it.
- Start pulling the wallpaper up from the bottom and use the putty knife to remove the rest of the paper, repeating this process until all of the wallpaper is removed.
- To remove wallpaper adhesive, mix a tablespoon of dish detergent and hot water and wipe down the wall with a sponge until all residue is removed.
- Rinse wall with fresh water and dry with a towel.
For more DIY projects visit: http://www.diynetwork.com/