Renovating a bathroom is a costly and time-consuming task. If you are on a budget and don’t have the time to remove and replace bathroom tiles painting them might be a wise alternative. Or maybe you just want to freshen up existing tile or update tiles from another era. Another great reason to paint over old tiles is if your home is on the market and you need it staged for a quick sale.
Below is a list of home improvement items you will need.
Bleach to remove mold
Commercial tile cleaner
Paint brush and roller
Oil based high adhesion primer
Latex or oil paint
Clear urethane finish
- Clean tile with a mild abrasive tile cleaner to remove gloss finish.
- Sand tile using sandpaper and remove the remaining gloss.
- Vacuum the sandpaper dust and wipe down tile surface and let dry.
- Apply two coats of oil based primer.
- Sand tile once again after second primer coat dries to create a smooth surface.
- Remove dust with vacuum and clean with damp cloth.
- Apply 2 coats of latex or oil paint and let dry for 2-3 days.
- Apply 1-2 coats of urethane finish and let dry.
Repair damaged tiles before you start your project.
Apply thin coats of paint and allow each coat to completely dry.